Monday 24 August 2009

Harry goes mobile

Big news this week, Harry’s gone mobile.

He’s not crawling properly yet, but he’s discovered that, by sticking his backside in the air and pushing up with his arms, he’s able to shuffle around quite effectively.
Admittedly he tends to go backwards and sideways rather than forwards, but it’s movement nonetheless.

Last weekend, Melissa and I were eating our breakfast while Harry was on the playmat by our feet. By the time I’d finished my porridge, he’d managed to get himself all the way to the other side of the room and was about to start eating the television stand when I picked him up.

Of course, this changes everything. I’m no longer able to plonk Harry on his play mat and read the paper or watch the cricket; instead I have to watch his every move and jump up every five minutes to stop him chewing bits of furniture.

Not that I mind. Watching him move is fascinating, but the real problems start when he gets in his walker.

His walker is a slightly odd contraption with a seat and wheels that allows him to dash around the kitchen at surprising speed.

When we first bought this a couple of months ago, Harry would sit in it for a few minutes before his head would drop and we’d have to pick him up. Now he’s mastered the steering, he’s quite happy to spend a lot longer in it – and find the energy to cause mayhem. One of his favourite tricks is grabbing the basket in the dishwasher as you try to empty it. Occasionally this can cause quite a mess – much to Harry’s amusement.

His other favourite trick is to dash across the kitchen heading for Melissa’s precious piano. This prompts the sort of sprint from Melissa not seen since her days at Ysgol Dinas Bran – and can be quite entertaining to watch.

Harry, meanwhile, is seemingly oblivious to the chaos his new mobile status creates. As for me, I think I’ll be getting a few more grey hairs in the next couple of months.

No comments: