Tuesday 3 August 2010

Hold on to your hair

When Harry arrived on the scene 18 months ago, I joked with friends that I would be grey with worry within two years. I was wrong. I will be bald and grey.

My hair is changing colour rapidly. Until Harry was born, I had one or two grey hairs; now I have dozens. At this rate, I will be completely grey by the time I reach 35.

And baldness might also be an issue, but not just because of the worry. Harry has decided he likes being carried around on my shoulders when we go for a walk.

Things are fine until he starts grabbing my hair. When we walked around Alyn Waters the other day, a good few handfuls of my hair were removed before Harry got bored of the ‘make daddy look silly game’.

Seriously, though, this being a dad thing is hard work. Melissa and I took Harry on the playgroup trip to a theme park called Wonderland in Telford last week and I spent the whole day chasing him around.

In fact, I was so worn out when we got on the bus to go home, I joined Harry in having a quick nap, much to Melissa’s amusement.

The trip was great fun, however, and there was one particularly memorable moment when Harry went on a ride called the ‘White Rabbit’ by himself.

It wasn’t a very fast ride – basically a car going around a flat track. Adults weren’t allowed on, so I strapped Harry in and off he went, making a ‘brrrmmm’ sound while hanging on to the steering wheel.

It sounds daft now, but seeing Harry sat there on his own, looking so proud, was incredibly emotional.
Initially, Melissa wasn’t keen on the idea of letting Harry go by himself but she soon got over it when she saw how much he enjoyed the ride – and how well behaved he was. In fact he enjoyed it so much, it took us 15 minutes to prise him off.

The whole episode brought home to me just how quickly Harry’s growing up and it made me even more determined to enjoy every minute of being with him – even if it does have an undesirable effect on my hairline.

No comments: