Tuesday 11 October 2011

Car cleaning

WHEN I was younger I used to wonder why on earth my dad made so much fuss about us eating in his car.

The merest hint of a sausage roll would have my dad breaking out in a sweat, leading to a sharp exchange with mum. “You’re not going to let them eat in the car again are you?” he’d say, to which my mum would reply: “Don’t worry, they won’t make a mess.”

Funnily enough, I remember the sausage rolls but I don’t really remember the mess they left behind.

Now, however, I can see where dad was coming from. Whenever Harry has a snack in the car, the fallout somehow seems to cover the entire vehicle.
Of course, there’s also the sticky and/or greasy finger prints on the doors and windows. In short, keeping the car habitable is no easy task.

Mind you, I get off lightly. Melissa has to ferry Harry around in her car almost every day and by the time the weekend arrives, her car looks like a bomb (of the pastry or crisp persuasion) has exploded in it.

Not that Harry minds. As I’ve said before, he loves cleaning and he always jumps at the chance to vacuum the car – so it’s a win win situation for him.

Unfortunately, cleaning the car can be a long process particularly when you have to share the vacuum cleaner with Harry.

Dusting is not without its difficulties either – the other day I caught Harry trying to push the nozzle of the polish can into the CD player. When I asked him why, he told me it was dirty. Serves me right for asking I suppose.

In fact, we often end up with more fingerprints on the windows after cleaning the car. But at least Harry enjoys himself.

No comments: