Friday 29 June 2012

Harry down the mine


We've just returned from a week's stay in a caravan at the Haven site in Pwllheli.

Although the weather forecast was bleak, we somehow managed to avoid most of the rain which meant we weren't stuck indoors all week. Harry in particular had a fantastic time and literally ran himself into the ground every day.

A combination of playing on the beach, running around the adventure playground and swimming left him flat out by half six every evening. We didn't see him again until half six the following morning when he would spring out of bed ready to do it all again.

On the Wednesday, we woke to a serious thunderstorm (so serious you could feel the caravan shake every time it thundered) so I took Harry to Blaenau Ffestiniog for a trip down Llechwedd Slate Caverns.

To be honest, that trip was as much for me as it was for Harry – I remember going there when I was younger and being amazed at the size of those underground chambers.

Initially, Harry was impressed. Then, about half way through our first tour, Harry needed the toilet. While the guide related the story of the mines, I tried in vain to stop Harry shouting “I need a wee” at the top of his voice. It got to the point where he was actually hopping from one leg to the other because he was so desperate. Anyway, he managed to hold on and, undeterred, I pressed on with a second tour, this time down the deep mine.

At first I thought this was a terrible mistake. We had only just stepped off the train when Harry said he wanted his mummy. However, he soon forgot about his mum when he realised he could explore the tunnels instead.

I think Harry enjoyed himself and I certainly did, even if there were a couple of fraught moments. And whether Harry likes it or not, I've got plenty more trips like that one lined up already.

No comments: