Thursday 21 May 2009

Am I going soft?

I’VE been getting a bit of stick recently from one or two people who think I’ve gone soft since Harry arrived.

I know this because, during a recent visit to The Trap, one of the regulars, Wyn, told me to stop turning into a woman and start writing about Wrexham Football Club instead. I think he was joking – and anyway, there’s not much to say about events at The Racecourse at the moment, except that I sincerely hope things improve next year.

But Wyn’s comment got me thinking. Have I gone soft now that I’m a parent? Well, I’m not sure. Since having Harry, my whole outlook on life has certainly shifted – I now worry about feeds, baby changing facilities, the ease with which pushchairs fold, and whether we’ve got enough nappies. Naturally enough Harry is number one on my list of priorities. My music collection has also expanded – somewhat against my will – and you’re now as likely to catch me listening to nursery rhymes as Ryan Adams or Radiohead.

Having said all that, I’m still interested in life’s little essentials – a good pint of real ale, Wrexham FC and, of course, cricket – it’s just that they have to fit in with Harry.

Both Melissa and I are starting to relax a bit more now after the initial shock of parenthood. We’ve even left him with the grandparents a couple of times, which was initially a little nerve-wracking but does get easier.

Thankfully, Harry is still a very good baby. As long as he’s fed regularly, he rarely cries (as long as you don’t try and dress him) and he’s usually quite happy bouncing around in his little chair – at least this helps me feel less guilty when we do leave him behind.

Having said that, when we have left Harry, we’ve found ourselves talking about him most of the time anyway; I’m still not sure either of us can quite believe we’re responsible for creating something so, well, amazing.

So maybe I am going soft after all, although I’d rather think of it as becoming a more rounded human being if it’s all the same to you.

No comments: