Tuesday 19 May 2009

Growing up fast

I can’t believe how quickly Harry is changing. The other day I came across some pictures taken shortly after he was born and it’s incredible how much his features have changed and developed already.

I’ve started to notice other changes too. Harry’s now discovered that he controls his hands and he’s becoming quite adept at using them to throw his dummy around, take off his own bib and grab his blanket while attempting to eat it.

Then there are the other, less obvious changes. He’s now much more aware of his surroundings and his eyes follow me when I enter or leave a room (although he still gets far more excited if he spots Melissa).

But Harry’s also decided he doesn’t like some things – and he doesn’t mind letting us know. Two things in particular seem to upset him.

The first is getting dressed in a morning. He’s absolutely fine until you try and put anything on over his head (T-shirt, vest, and so on). Even if he’s been smiling happily for the previous hour, as soon as his head is covered – even for a second – he screams. And boy does he scream. In fact, he screams so much he can hardly breathe, which was pretty scary the first time it happened.

The other major problem in Harry’s life is his car seat. He hates it. As soon as he is put in the seat, he cries, screams and refuses stop until we’ve driven at least two miles in the car.

Melissa says it’s just a phase and he’ll grow out of it soon. I hope she’s right because all the crying has started to make me a bit forgetful– last weekend I managed to get him into his car seat without waking him and was so excited, I almost drove off without Melissa. For once, Harry and his car seat were the least of my troubles.

No comments: