Tuesday 7 July 2009

More nappies...

A couple of weeks ago I wrote that I was now a dab hand at changing nappies. Clearly I tempted fate with this rather self-congratulatory statement as Harry has now decided to tear up the rule book.

Let me explain. I’m used to Harry lying on his back and co-operating while I’m changing him. In recent weeks he’s learned how to roll onto his side but while this made the process a little more tricky, it was still manageable.

Now, however, he’s learned how to roll onto his front. This makes it nigh on impossible to change him quickly. What’s more, he spends five minutes rolling onto his tummy, followed by a further five minutes trying to crawl before giving up and screaming.

At this point, I turn him back over and the whole process begins again immediately while I try and wrestle Harry into his nappy.

As you can probably imagine, it becomes particularly tricky if you’re dealing with a full nappy.

To complicate matters further, Harry has now started eating pureed vegetables – carrot, broccoli and the like. Without going in to the gory details, this makes full nappies a far more daunting prospect.

On a happier note, though, Harry seems to be enjoying all this new food. As well as baby rice and vegetables, he’s also eating porridge and yoghurts. Feeding him is relatively easy because he’s so keen.

In fact, the only problem is he sometimes gets too excited trying to grab the spoon and, if you’re not careful, you can end up covered in food; believe me, it’s not a good look when you turn up for an important meeting with baby rice down your trousers.
At least Harry’s swimming is coming on. His latest visit was a much more relaxed affair and he appeared to enjoy it – we even managed to get him dressed and out of the changing rooms without a tantrum. Believe me, it felt like a major victory.

No comments: