Tuesday 21 July 2009

Quality time...

AS I’ve said on countless occasions in this column, I’m really enjoying being a dad.

One of the few downsides is that, from time to time, I’ve suddenly realise that I seem to have spent hardly any quality time with Melissa.

To be honest, most of the time you’re so busy dealing with a baby that you don’t even notice. And when Harry has gone to bed, usually we’re both exhausted, and the only thing we’re ready for is sleep.

However, in the last few weeks, this has started to change. Harry is now sleeping happily in his own room and is going to bed earlier (normally between eight and nine). This means Melissa and I have more time to spend together before we go to bed – and it’s so nice to be able to relax in each other’s company after a long day.

Don’t get me wrong, having Harry is still the best thing that’s ever happened to me; it’s just nice to be able to spend and hour or two recovering and chatting over the day’s events without having to worry about Harry.

Mind you, having done the Three Peaks challenge in 24 hours last weekend, I was absolutely over the moon to spot Harry and Melissa waiting for me at the bottom of Snowdon as I ran the last few yards.

Melissa had said she wouldn’t be able to pick me up, so you can imagine my delight when I realised she’d changed her mind and brought Harry along, even if he was a bit sleepy from the car journey.

It was the longest I’d gone without seeing Harry since he was born, and I’m surprised just how much I missed him.

Seeing him gave me a real lift after an exhausting day or two – he even smiled when I picked him up, despite the fact I was in desperate need of a shower and a change of clothes. Suddenly, it all seemed worthwhile.

No comments: