Wednesday 11 November 2009

Breakfast in bed? No thanks...

As a new parent, I’m learning all the time. This week I learned that trying to feed an eight month old in bed is not only difficult but incredibly messy, particularly when the eight-month-old in question has been eating chocolate spread.

You might ask how on earth I got myself into that mess and it’s a fair question. Basically, I was trying to help. I woke up before the alarm, got up and showered, leaving Melissa and Harry asleep (Harry joined us in our bed about six and went straight back to sleep).

They were still asleep when I’d finished getting ready so I decided to make breakfast in bed. Harry had his usual Ready Brek, while it was toast for Melissa and myself.

Unfortunately, feeding Harry in bed turned out to be a real challenge. He was bouncing round the bed happily and, despite Melissa’s best efforts to keep him still, getting the food into his mouth was a real test of my coordination.

We managed it eventually, but not without a good portion of his breakfast ending up on the duvet and one or two frayed nerves. Things were to get worse, though. Melissa decided Harry should try some of her chocolate spread on toast. This was a mistake.

Within minutes, there was chocolate spread everywhere. Harry of course was having the time of his life – but I won’t be making breakfast in bed again any time soon.

Anyway, all this mess meant more washing. I just can’t believe how much washing one small baby makes (even without the breakfast in bed disaster).

To be honest, Melissa handles this side of things and I don’t envy her. There is washing everywhere – a pile to be washed, a pile in the washing machine, a pile in the airing cupboard and a pile waiting to be ironed.

Somehow she manages to keep on top of it which is a good job because, if it was left to me, the house would be in chaos.

No comments: