Monday 4 January 2010

So that was Christmas

Harry’s first Christmas was every bit as enjoyable as we’d all hoped. I think it’s safe to say Harry had a great time even if he was, as expected, more interested in the boxes than the presents inside.

And he certainly wasn’t short of boxes by the end of the day. Melissa and I decided before Christmas that we wouldn’t go overboard with presents – he’s still a little too young to know what’s going on.

Having said that, it did require a fair amount of restraint on my part not to go mad when we did some last minute shopping.

Fortunately, Melissa, the voice of reason as ever, persuaded me not to buy the castle and train set I’d set my sights on.

Anyway, Harry got a trike and mini-trampoline from us. Building them was a bit of an ordeal – I didn’t realise how much assembly was involved – but, after a trapped finger and some angry muttering, I managed it.

Melissa wrapped the presents in the hope that Harry would tear the paper off as soon as he saw them; unfortunately he was more interested in having a bite of my toast on Christmas morning.

Then the family arrived. Harry’s incredibly generous nans, grandads, uncle and aunties, as well as our friends and relatives, all ensured he now has enough toys to keep him occupied until he’s about five – and our conservatory is still knee-deep in wrapping paper and boxes to prove it.

In fact, Harry had so much to play with, he didn’t know what to do next. He was absolutely shattered by tea time but he wasn’t the only one – Melissa somehow managed to prepare a delicious meal for 12 despite the chaos around her.

I was also ready for bed by 10pm, although I’m sure Melissa will tell you that had more to do with drinking beer in the afternoon than hard work. It’s not true of course; it was just the emotion of Harry’s first, magical Christmas. Roll on next year.

No comments: