Tuesday 26 January 2010

Happy birthday

Harry celebrated his first birthday on January 19 and, looking back, it’s been a remarkable 12 months for me.

This time last year, I was a nervous wreck. Harry was a few days old and had just come out of hospital, while I seemed to spend all my time making cups of tea for visitors who had come to meet our new arrival.

It was a steep learning curve for both Melissa and myself. As new parents, we were both sensitive to Harry’s every cough, splutter and gurgle. We worried about everything: had he taken enough milk, was he warm enough, was he too warm, did he have wind, and so on.

Of course we still worry about him now, but you do become – slightly – more relaxed about it all.

Despite the worries, though, those first few days at home with Harry were magical. In fact, the last 12 months have been magical – watching Harry grow and develop is awe-inspiring.

Take the last couple of weeks. Harry’s gone from a couple of faltering steps to walking practically all the time.

Anyway, Harry’s birthday fell on a Tuesday, the day he normally attends the parents and toddlers session at Chirk Methodist Church. We didn’t want him to miss out just because it was his birthday so I went along too. It was the first time I’d seen Harry interact with a group of other children and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, I was a little bit shocked when Harry marched in and plucked a dummy out of another baby’s mouth before popping it in his own. Still, I suppose it means he’s not going to be a shy little boy.

Everybody at the playgroup was extremely friendly and made me feel welcome – and Harry certainly enjoyed himself.

It was a great way to spend Harry’s first birthday. I’m sure the next year will be just as surprising and enjoyable.

No comments: