Monday 5 July 2010

The early morning wake up call

IT'S FAIR to say that I'm still adjusting to life as a parent. It was a real shock to the system when Harry first arrived on the scene in January last year and, even with all the advice from friends and the various textbooks, I simply wasn't prepared for the massive changes that happen when you become a parent.

Nearly seventeen months on, I'm still getting used to the idea that I'm now a dad with all the responsibility that brings with it.

It’s true that you do have to make massive changes to your lifestyle when you become a parent and your priorities are turned completely on their head. Even simple things like popping out for a pint, meeting up with friends, or going to watch the football require planning with military precision.

But I think we've coped pretty well with that side of life. What has been tougher, for me at least, is dealing with sleep - or, more precisely, a lack of it.

Looking back to the first few weeks after Harry was born, I don't know how we managed having to get up two or three times a night to feed and change him. Of course, you muddle through and things do get better.

The problem is, you forget how hard you had it then and begin to get used to sleeping through the night again. Unfortunately for us, Harry has now decided that he likes waking up early - usually between half five and half six - which means we have to get up early too.

What amazes me is how much energy he has at that time of day. There's no easing into the day gently with Harry, and I'm often woken by the shout of 'Da da' which, roughly translated, means he’s ready for breakfast.

A few months ago, the solution was simple - we brought him into our bed and he would drop off for another hour or so. Unfortunately, he's no longer interested in going back to sleep and he will happily slap, pull, poke and prod me until I get up and take him downstairs.

To be honest, this isn't so bad during the week when I've got to get up to go to work anyway, but it's tough at the weekends when you need to catch up on your sleep.

It’s also a bit disconcerting having to watch Thomas the Tank Engine at six o’clock in the morning. Still, a couple of friends with chidren have assured me it's just a phase and that Harry will soon be sleeping until eight or half past. At the moment, I’d happily settle for seven.

No comments: