Monday 5 July 2010

Two weeks with Harry...

I’ve just spent two full weeks with Harry – my longest uninterrupted period with him since he arrived home from hospital more than 17 months ago.

Spending time with Harry is always special, but having 14 days with him was a particular treat.

We spent the first week by the sea in Whitby, Yorkshire. Fortunately, the weather was fine and we were able to get the beach twice a day, every day, which delighted Harry.

He thoroughly enjoyed playing with his bucket and spade on the beach – so much so that I found myself having to pretend to play in the sand on our apartment floor shortly after six every morning.

Goodness knows what our unfortunate neighbours made of it all, but it kept Harry entertained and that’s all that matters.

Mind you, I think I enjoyed the beach just as much as Harry – and I’ve now got the perfect excuse to behave like a big kid, so I had great fun competing with Melissa to build the biggest and best sandcastle.

One thing that did shock me, though, was the sand. It gets everywhere and, thanks to Harry, our apartment was covered in it. By the end of the week, I’d swear there was more sand in our bed than on the beach.

Sand aside, it was a fantastic break. My favourite moment came when we were playing on the beach one day and Harry grabbed my hand before taking me paddling. Watching a very well-behaved Harry eating fish and chips in a busy restaurant on our last day also made me realise just how quickly he’s growing up. I’m determined to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments: