Friday 24 September 2010

Christening fun

We took Harry to a christening last Sunday and what should have been a relatively calm experience turned into one of the most hectic half hours I’ve had in a long while.

Harry was pretty well behaved when the service got under way, largely because he was munching his way through a packet of Quavers – Melissa’s cunning plan to keep him quiet.

Unfortunately, the Quavers were soon demolished and, after spending five minutes trying to wrestle the hymn book out of my hand, Harry decided it was time to go for a wander.

Of course he had his reins on, so I was pulled along behind him. The vicar had said at the outset he didn’t mind children walking around during the service and had helpfully arranged an area complete with crayons, mini bouncy castle, toys and books.

That kept Harry occupied for all of ten minutes before he became destructive and started pulling all the books off the shelves.

While I was frantically trying to tidy up behind him, Harry seized the opportunity to escape and explore the church properly.

I’m not sure what the congregation made of me sprinting after Harry during communion – but I didn’t have any choice.

After managing to catch up with him, I finally found something that kept him quiet – the organ and organist.

So for the final ten minutes of the service, I had to stand next to the organ while Harry pointed and shouted with excitement every time a note was played.

Melissa found it all very funny – and I admit I was a bit flustered by the time the service finished. She doesn’t know it yet, but Melissa’s definitely on duty the next time we go to a christening.

No comments: