Monday 20 September 2010

Haircuts and swimming lessons

Last week was a momentous week for Harry (even if he doesn’t know it) – he had his first haircut and his first swimming lesson.

The haircut was, to be honest, long overdue. Although Harry doesn’t have a thick head of hair (he gets that off me), he’s been getting increasingly ‘tufty’ in recent weeks. Some days, his hair would stand on end all day, giving him the impression of being permanently terrified.

Melissa had cut it herself a couple of times to get the worst of it under control but things were nevertheless starting to get a bit out of hand.

Thankfully, that’s now a thing of the past.

Unfortunately I was in work so I couldn’t take him to the hairdressers but it all seemed to go surprisingly smoothly.

And having his hair cut has suddenly made Harry look a lot more grown up, which is a somehow a little bit sad – he’s no longer a baby, but a little boy.

Anyway, the way his hair’s growing he’ll need another haircut in a couple of weeks’ time so I’ll hopefully get the chance to take him.

The other first this week was his swimming lesson at Waterworld in Wrexham. I managed to pop along to watch it in my lunch hour, and spent the whole half-hour with a big grin on my face.

Watching Harry (and Melissa of course) performing the various exercises was fascinating. Best of all, though, Harry was obviously enjoying himself even if he was a bit reluctant to let the little rubber duck go when the teacher asked for it to be returned.

He behaved really well throughout the lesson though and I returned to work feeling ten foot tall.

Harry might be growing up but he still makes me feel like the proudest dad around.

No comments: