Friday 26 November 2010

Peppa Pig at 2am

Sickness, Peppa Pig, Calpol and a screaming toddler. That was the story of our Sunday night this week.

Melissa had put Harry to bed as I’d been at work so when I arrived home, I was expecting a relaxing evening. Melissa had even opened a bottle of wine but, alas, it wasn’t to be.

Harry was unusually restless and woke up several times crying. He was so upset in the end, that I went to his room and picked him up to comfort him. Ten seconds later, Harry had been sick all over my dressing gown.

I shouted Melissa who rushed upstairs to help. And Harry was immediately sick all over her too.

Thankfully, that was the end of the throwing up, but Harry didn’t drop off again until half eleven.

Unfortunately, he only slept for an hour before waking up crying. This time, there was no way he was going back to sleep. We soon discovered that the only way to stop him crying was to let him watch Peppa Pig.

There is something a bit bizarre about watching children’s television programmes at half past one in the morning, but we were so grateful that he’d calmed down we didn’t mind.

While he was calm, we took the opportunity to get some Calpol down him. Of course, Harry didn’t want to swallow any but, with Melissa holding him down, I managed to get some in his mouth.

The effect was dramatic – I swear that stuff is magic. Within half an hour, Harry was sleepy enough to get him back into bed – our bed this time. A few minutes later, both he and Melissa were flat out, leaving me wide awake unable to shake the Peppa Pig theme tune.

Being a parent is, as I’ve said time and time again, a wonderful experience; but it definitely has its challenging moments.

No comments: