Monday 28 May 2012

How is he sleeping?


WHENEVER people ask about James, one of the first questions is invariably 'how is he sleeping?'

The answer is pretty well actually. At the moment he's still waking for a feed in the night but as he's only eight weeks old, that's only to be expected. Either way, it's a significant contrast to our experience with Harry.

I must admit that I've got a lot to answer for in this regard. With Harry, I wouldn't put him back in his cot until he was fast asleep. With hindsight, I was just making problems for myself as it got to the stage where he would start crying as soon as I attempted to put him down.

With James, I'm quite happy putting him back in his cot as soon as he's finished his feed, allowing him to go to sleep on his own. This means we've had, relatively speaking, a decent amount of sleep despite having a newborn in the house.

Last week, however, was a bit more testing as James picked up a chest infection while Harry also developed a cough and cold. James, surprisingly, continued to sleep well but Harry was disturbed by his cough. A couple of times I woke to feed James only to find Harry had climbed into bed between Melissa and myself – and was snoring loudly.

On one occasion, Melissa even sneaked out of our bed and into Harry's. Apparently a combination of Harry snoring, James coughing and a general lack of space was too much for her. Next time it's my turn to escape.

No comments: