Saturday 24 May 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Well, I couldn't resist. I haven't been to the cinema in ages but the new Indiana Jones movie was enough to drag off the sofa, back to the big screen.

Was it worth it? Well, yes. Ok, so perhaps The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull isn't quite as consistently exciting as Raiders of the Lost Ark, or as consistently funny as The Last Crusade, but it's still great fun.

Harrison Ford looks a lot older now, but there are plenty of references to this in the dialogue, and the set pieces are still spectacular. It's certainly as good as the Temple of Doom.

In fact, my main criticism of the film would be directed squarely at The Odeon, Wrexham. As I said, I haven't been to the cinema for ages - at least a couple of years, and probably since the final film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

But I was nevertheless shocked when, after the usual half hour of adverts and trailers, the screening was delayed so the cinema staff could sell ice cream. It was, to put it mildly, frustrating. I just hope they stop short of re-introducing intermissions.

No comments: