Friday 8 August 2008

Talking rubbish

I like to think that I'm a fairly reasonable sort of person but, occasionally, things make me really angry.

And this week, bin collections have been making me angry.

Now I'm not going to claim for one minute that I'm the world's most conscientious when it comes to recycling. However, I am doing my best to recycle as much as possible and that includes garden waste.

We've got a fairly big lawn and our two garden waste bins get filled up quite quickly, particularly during the summer months. So you can imagine my delight when I realised that, due to a reorganisation of bin collections across the county, Wrexham Council decided there would be a four week delay in collecting garden waste.

As I write this, both of my green bins are full - and I still have two weeks to wait before they are emptied. My grass needs cutting, and I may have to resort to using the household waste bin.

I can understand that Wrexham Council wanted to reorganise bin collections to cut costs, but surely they could have come up with a better solution than this. Maybe the middle of winter, when nobody is cutting their lawns, would have been more sensible.

To add insult to injury, Chirk has just lost its very popular skip, which was previously available to residents on a Wednesday and Saturday. I know local councillors opposed the move but were told the skip had to go to save money.

Instead, any waste which we cannot fit in our bins will have to be disposed of at Plas Madoc - six or seven miles away - and all those car journeys can't be good for the environment.

No comments: