Thursday 8 October 2009

Meet Dougie the barn dancing dog...

As you will have noticed, the Leader is no longer an evening paper. This has obviously meant some serious changes to our hours – and consequently my time with Harry.

One of the main benefits for me has been the opportunity to spend some more time with Harry in a morning as I know leave for work at eight rather than half six.

This means I’m able to feed Harry his breakfast and play with him before setting off for work. It also gives Melissa the chance to get ready before I leave, something she really appreciates.

As I’ve written before, I love feeding Harry but, when his teeth are playing up, this can be a bit of nightmare – food everywhere (I’ve learned the hard way not to put my suit on when he’s eating) and plenty of shouting. Fortunately, Melissa has discovered a way to distract him – she puts his favourite CD on.

Unfortunately, this involves feeding him to the sound of ‘Dougie the barn-dancing dog’. While this is effective – Harry gets particularly excited when Dougie’s friend Billy Silly joins in – I end up humming the blasted tune all day.

Anyway, my later starts have also coincided with Harry starting to crawl properly, which has made them even more entertaining. Rather than shuffling backwards, Harry is now able to move forward with a fair degree of coordination.

Of course, he’s still learning and this means that, from time to time, he simply forgets how to crawl and falls flat on his face. Thankfully this doesn’t seem to deter him and he’s soon on his way again.

All this extra time in a morning does have a downside – apart from Dougie the barn-dancing dog of course. I now get to change one, sometimes two, dirty nappies. For some reason, Melissa’s delighted with my new working arrangements.

No comments: