Friday 23 October 2009

Things that go bump in the night...

STRANGE scratching noises caused plenty of concern in the Wright household this week.

Thankfully, after a couple of days trying to solve the mystery, I managed to locate the source of the sound – Harry.

It all started last weekend. Harry was asleep in bed and Melissa and I were sat in the living room downstairs with the baby monitor on. Suddenly we heard this scratching noise, apparently coming from the monitor.

To start with, I though it was just interference on the monitor – this sometimes happens. However, the sound was so regular, I decided it couldn’t be interference.

Melissa was similarly mystified but the noise stopped a moment later. I crept upstairs to check Harry was ok and found him fast asleep, albeit upside down in his cot.

We thought no more about it until the following evening when the same thing happened. Again there was a scratching sound which lasted a couple of minutes before stopping, and again Harry was sound asleep when I went to check on him.

This time we were a little bit more concerned. I was worried there was a mouse loose in the house - it’s the right time of year for it after all and we have had problems in the past (when I say problems, I mean a mouse popping its head out of a hole in the floorboards to greet Melissa which, as you can probably imagine, she didn’t find particularly amusing).

But we finally solved the mystery the following evening. I was sat upstairs waiting for Harry to drop off after putting him down for the night. After a couple of minutes I heard the scratching sound coming from Harry’s room.

I raced into the room only to find Harry stood up at the foot of the cot, grinding his teeth on the wooden top rail. Apart from some marks on the cot, there was no harm done; in fact Harry seemed to be enjoying himself and wasn’t best pleased when I stopped him.

So the mystery was solved - and at least it wasn’t a mouse.

No comments: