Thursday 8 October 2009

You can keep your DIY

Let's get a few things straight here. First, I don't like DIY. In fact, I only do it under duress. And what's worse than building flat-pack furniture is having to rebuild the thing a couple of weeks later.

Harry's cot was one such piece of flat pack furniture. The instructions, as usual, made no sense whatsoever and it took me the best part of a day to build. However, when it was finished, I was quite proud of my handywork; it felt sturdy, even though I had no idea how I’d managed to put the thing together.

That was nearly a year ago - Melissa was very organised and had me furnish Harry's room more than three months before he was due 'just in case'.

The thing is, the cot can be adjusted, lowering the mattress as the baby grows.

After being, how can I put this politely, reminded several times about the need to lower the cot in recent weeks, I finally gave in and subsequently spent several hours sweating and swearing before finally managing to take the cot apart.

Melissa, of course, was present throughout, always ready with a few words of advice such as ‘Have you tried it the other way?’

Anyway, eventually I managed to work it out. 'Shall I put the mattress down to the lowest level?' I asked. 'Not yet,' came the reply. 'We don't want him too low.'

Barely a week later, I returned home to find Melissa looking a bit sheepish. This is not a common occurrence. After some prompting, she admitted that earlier in the day, she'd put Harry in his cot, only to find, minutes later, he had managed to grab hold of the side of the cot and pull himself upright.

My delight at this exciting moment in Harry's development was tempered by the fact that this means I'm going to have to take the cot apart again. That’s certainly something I could do without.

No comments: