Tuesday 6 April 2010

Appetite for destruction

I always wondered why my friends with children always looked slightly on edge. Now I’m beginning to understand.

In the last two weeks, Harry has managed to wreck our laptop, as well as smashing our slow cooker.

Not only has this caused a fair amount of stress in the Wright household – especially for Melissa who has been deprived of Facebook – it’s also turned out to be fairly costly to replace or repair the items in question.

It amazes me that someone so small can cause so much mischief. Some days when I step through the back door at home, there’s a trail of destruction leading to the front room.

On these occasions, I’m generally met by a grinning Harry, while a shell-shocked Melissa sits among the debris. As a rule, this isn’t a good time to point out that the house looks a bit of a mess.

But even on days like this, I can’t wait to get through the door, play with Harry and, if I’m really lucky, feed him his tea.

Meal times are now quite a challenge because Harry knows it’s time to eat as soon as we put him in his highchair.

The problem is, he doesn’t have a great deal of patience where food is concerned, so we always have five minutes of shouting and banging the table while I heat up his tea.

The trouble really starts if the food is too hot – Harry will scream and strain until his face is purple as one of us desperately tries to cool it down.

Believe me, I’ve ended up leaping around the kitchen singing at the top of my voice on more than one occasion to try and distract him. All things considered, it’s no wonder parents always look slightly on edge.

No comments: