Friday 23 April 2010

Smile

The pace of Harry’s development continues to amaze me. It’s only a couple of months since he started to walk but he’s now very confident on his feet and will dash about the place at surprising speed.

His latest trick is climbing. Melissa says he’s seen other children doing this at playgroup and is simply copying them; whatever, he’s certainly a quick learner.

The other day Harry and I were playing in the conservatory when Harry decided to throw his bottle of juice across the room. I went to pick it up and as soon as I turned my back, Harry climbed on to the coffee table and sat, cross-legged, grinning like a Cheshire cat and clearly very proud of what he’d done.
I snatched him off the table as quickly as I could but every time he gets an opportunity, he starts lifting his little leg to climb on anything and everything. One thing’s for sure, babysitting Harry is an energetic pastime.

And that’s not the only thing causing heart failure for us this week. Harry is now tall enough – just – to reach door handles so he can let himself out of rooms.

I thought this was still a few months off but a week or so ago I changed Harry’s nappy in the bathroom upstairs and was just putting the cream and dirty nappy away with my back to Harry. Moments later, I heard the door handle go and thought it was Melissa – so I was pretty shocked to see Harry disappearing off down the landing laughing to himself.

His character is really starting to shine through now – he knows when he’s done something wrong and will try and charm you with a smile when you tell him off.

He also flashes a smile when he’s succeeded in doing something he knows he shouldn’t, and he also looks at you and grins while trying to sidle up to something he knows he’s not allowed to touch.

And while keeping up with Harry may sometimes be a bit of challenge, it’s still the most rewarding experience of my life.

No comments: