Friday 31 October 2008

Weird weather

I know it's incredibly British and incredibly boring to go on about the weather, but I was genuinely shocked to see snow in October.

As I've said before (several times probably), I love snow. I do, however, wish it would fall at the weekend when you can go for a walk and enjoy the winter landscape, rather than on a weekday when you have to drive to work. Still, snow is snow, and seeing it in October was a bonus.

Speaking of the seasons, my garden is now almost empty. I've dug up all my potatoes (there's plenty to keep us going through the winter months), while my tomatoes, courgettes and aubergines are now finished (the cold snap this week was the final nail in the coffin). My chili peppers have been fantastic this year, especially the dwarf ones, which are so hot, half of one is enough to make your eyes water.

My swedes are almost ready, and I have one or two cabbages that managed to survive the caterpillar onslaught but the main focus of my work over the next couple of weekends will be digging the garden over in preparation for next year - providing we don't have any more snow.

No comments: