Monday 19 September 2011

England or Wales?

THERE’S always been a little bit of tension in our household about Harry’s nationality.

Harry was born in Wales and his mum is Welsh, and very proud of it. I, on the other hand, am English, and also proud of it. We’ve come to an agreement that Harry will decide where his loyalties lie when he’s older (and, more importantly, which football, rugby teams, and so on he will support).

At least he won’t have much of a choice when it comes to cricket – there is only one national side with Test status and that’s England.

Regardless of the nationality debate, because we live in Wales Harry will be taught Welsh at school and I agree completely with Melissa that this is a very good thing indeed. In fact, it’s already started now that he’s attending Chirk pre-school playgroup four days a week.

When I was putting Harry to bed the other night, as he was drifting off to sleep he started singing un, dau, tri (one, two, three) to himself. I was very impressed and immediately told Melissa about it. Of course, she knew already and told me that the same day he’d said bore da to the ladies greeting him at playgroup. I was even more impressed.

I asked him about this the following day and Harry proudly told me that he said bore da when he went to playgroup.

Melissa has already decided that I need to learn Welsh so that I will be able to help Harry with his homework. So the pressure’s on. I am actually looking forward to it, although I’m sure Harry will pick it up a lot more quickly than I will.

No comments: