Friday 9 September 2011

Wake up call

Harry is nothing if not inventive – and he is particularly creative when it comes to waking me up in a morning.

The other morning, I heard Harry padding into our bedroom but before I could open my eyes, he’d jumped on to my pillow, grabbed my face and told me it was time to wake up and clean the cars.

This was, it has to be said, a bit much first thing in the morning but at least it wasn’t the most painful wake-up call I’ve had.

That award goes to the day when Harry decided to carry the Argos catalogue into our bedroom. It’s a pretty hefty publication but on this occasion he managed to get it into our bedroom and somehow hoist it up onto the bed before finding the strength to drop it on my head.

It was a bit of a shock. “Sorry daddy,” he said as I rubbed me head furiously. “It’s a bit heavy for Harry.”

Unfortunately, the Argos catalogue is currently Harry’s favourite book – even overtaking the Three Billy Goats Gruff – and he will sit for ages, flicking through the pages saying he “needs” this or that. He even takes the book to his bedroom at night to keep it safe.

When I ask him who’s going to bring him all of these things he needs, his reply is always the same: “Santa.”

I’ve tried to explain that Christmas is still a long way off but Harry is undeterred. At this rate, the book might have to go missing soon – otherwise, it’s going to seem like a very long time until Santa squeezes down our chimney.

No comments: