Friday 9 September 2011

Funny phrases

Harry’s little phrases are a constant source of amusement. Honestly, at times it’s like listening to an old man. Shortly before I was due to leave work the other day, I got a call from home. It was Melissa. “Harry wants to speak to you,” she said.
There was some fumbling then Harry’s voice: “Don’t be home late daddy. I want you to mow the lawn.”
And there’s plenty more where that came from. One of his favourite questions when I arrive home is: “Any news? Any good news? Any bad news?”
If you ask Harry how he is, he invariably replies: “Not bad thank you.”
Perhaps his favourite question is: “What are you talking about?” This comes up all the time, particularly when Harry enters a room in the middle of conversation – he obviously doesn’t like to miss out.
If I’m ignoring him and he wants to get my undivided attention, Harry has a habit of climbing up onto my knee, taking hold of my face and saying: “Daddy, be quiet, Harry’s talking, it’s very important.”
Of course there’s also the ultimate question: why. We’ve had a lot of this lately. Whenever Harry sees something new, he wants to know why. If you ask him not to touch something, he wants to know why. This can be frustrating after a while – for both of us.
At other times, he simply copies things he’s heard one of us saying. The other day as he got up off the sofa, he put his hands on his legs and said: “Oh my knees” – a phrase he’s picked up from Melissa’s dad.
The best bit is when Harry unexpectedly announces “I love you daddy”. This is, however, rare and even then often follows the distribution of chocolate buttons. It’s still great though.

No comments: