Friday 9 September 2011

Something's wrong

FOR some reason, I had an inkling that something was wrong before I opened the door. When I did so, my suspicions were confirmed by the look of resignation on Melissa’s face and by the extremely unpleasant smell coming from the kitchen.

A shelf had collapsed in one of our kitchen cupboards and the only item to smash, unfortunately, was a bottle of fish sauce – a potent concoction made of fermented fish and used in Thai dishes.

I immediately asked where Harry was (he was nowhere to be seen), and Melissa told me he was on his potty in the living room. Fortunately, he was out of the way when the shelf fell down, although he was quite excited by the noise and had been quite keen to help Melissa clean up.

Things, however, were about to take a turn for the worse. I walked in to the living room to find Harry stood up pointing at the carpet shouting: “Poo on floor daddy.”

For some reason, Harry had decided to empty out the contents of his potty, and it wasn’t pleasant. When I asked Harry why, he tucked his chin into his chest and said: “Don’t know daddy, sorry.”

Melissa was at a loss to explain Harry’s behaviour. Apparently he’d been really good all day and wasn’t even particularly tired (the most common excuse for naughty behaviour).

Anyway, the combination of fish sauce and the potty incident prompted a frenzied spell of cleaning from Melissa, while I got the less challenging task of putting Harry to bed.

When I returned downstairs, everything was back to normal – apart from a strong smell of bleach. I don’t think we’ll be having Thai curry for a while though.

No comments: